8.28.2008

NUTS











The two-lane highway leading up to the chalet was empty. I glanced curiously in the rearview mirror, but the winding road failed to tell me where we were headed. While I had been living in Melbourne, Australia for nearly two years, I was still hopelessly disoriented. Not wanting to ruin the surprise, I decided the empty tree-lined highway was a promising start to our romantic getaway. After all, it was my first weekend away with my new Australian boyfriend, the spitting image of Colin Firth only slightly shrunken in the wash. Reassured, I sat back in the passenger seat and pictured kangaroos jumping out of the bush until--something else jumped out at me.

“We’re here,” Greg announced, clearly not seeing the two gigantic nuts hanging overhead.

Not wanting to seem completely childish, I sat up and calmly read the sign that was surrounded by two flesh-colored chestnuts. “Double Nut Chalets,” I plainly stated because I couldn’t laugh. Not unless Greg laughed first. Because this was our first weekend away. Because he was kindly carrying my overstuffed suitcase into the hotel. Because this was his surprise. Two gigantic nuts hanging over our hotel.

Suddenly, my stifled laugh relaxed into a smile as his curly hair disappeared into the lobby. Staring up at the sign, I decided nuts were the perfect start to the weekend.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those sounds like some lovely "nuts." Ahhh the first weekend away - good stuff...

Anonymous said...

I've never met a nut I didn't like.

Anonymous said...

When your with a Coln Firth look alike , the more nuts the merrier !

Anonymous said...

nut accompanied by good martins & Colin can't be all bad .

KK said...

two nuts are certainly better than one!

Anonymous said...

In the battle of Hugh Grant vs. Colin Firth- I'm a total Colin fan. Even if he's a bit shrunken in the wash. Good on ya!

Anonymous said...

Were you in Australia's wine country? Nuts and a nice glass of Cab, delicious!

Anonymous said...

I'm allergic to nuts. Could be why I haven't gone on a date since Christmas of 1989.

Cheap Family Holidays Hotel said...

Hi...
very useful blog..you have mention that very profitable message.i like it.i am really appreciate with your blog this is look like at cooking tutorial blog

very nice great stuff.....
Thanks for sharing this info..


Family Hotel Apartments in UK-
Holidays Hotel Apartments UK