11.19.2007

Communication Is Not Always Key


No Comprende
Ingredients:
1 oz Tequila
1 oz Vanilla Stoli
1 oz Banana Liqueur
1 oz Ginger Ale
Banana and Maraschino Cherry, for garnish

Directions:
Fill a lowball glass with ice. Combine the tequila, Stoli Vanilla, banana liqueur, and ginger ale in a cocktail shaker, and shake. Strain into the glass. Garnish with a maraschino cherry and a banana wedge.


My greatest mentor once told me there’s nothing better in life than travel sex, preferably in a non-English speaking country. Taking a sleeping pill on my way to Costa Rica, I decided it might be time to experience this first hand. After all, what good was having a mentor if you never took her advice.

Landing in San Jose, I took in the smell of rich coffee and hot pavement, and felt more alive than I had in years. With my past left behind and my future on hold, I could simply exist in the moment as my mother had always done. Completely disoriented, I stepped into the littered city street, elated that I had no idea where I was going. With no agenda, I wandered through the crowded markets, taking it all in, particularly the tan blue-eyed men selling empanadas. Wanting to make the most of every moment, I ordered two beef empanadas, and flashed my most available smile. Romance was definitely in the air!

Three weeks later, I was drying up on a deserted beach in Panama after ten straight days of flooding. Still pale and un-romanced, I decided a sunburn might brighten the mood. Smearing my pale skin with coconut oil, I gleefully offered my body to the sun god as my girlfriend Salima read The Alchemist under an umbrella. While her naturally tan skin led Panamanians to believe she was a local, she was Indian and didn’t speak a word of Spanish. To their disappointment, she’d simply smile and point to the sunburned white girl for any basic questions. Luckily, my second-degree burn turned into a tanned peel whilst we trekked back to Costa Rica for our return flight.

Arriving in the small town of Santa Ana, I decided to soak in as much “pura vida” as possible on our last night. I had traveled enough to know that the moment I boarded the plane, my past, present and future would slide back onto the grid. Once I crossed the border, I’d be back on the clock. And while there had been nothing particularly “romantic” about the trip, there had also been nothing predictable, and for that I celebrated with a free shot of tequila from the local bartender.

“Es tu cumpleanos?” I asked the perfectly tanned bartender in my remedial Spanish confirming that it was his twenty-first birthday. I turned to my friend to translate the obvious. “It’s his twenty-first birthday,” I repeated licking the salt off my hand. “I love birthdays!” I squealed as I downed the shot.

Three rounds later, I was swimming in enough pura vida that I believed the tan blue-eyed twenty-one year old bartender had a crush on me. At least that’s what Salima thought. As he lined another round of drinks on the bar, I realized the advantage to small town romances. This young Costa Rican who had the refined good looks of a Calvin Klein model had absolutely zero awareness of it. Feeling lucky, I smiled in his direction, and then turned to my friend to shake the tequila off. “We are so going dancing tonight.”

That night, we squeezed into a local deli turned nightclub where Roberto, my Spanish-speaking bartender, quickly pulled me onto the dance floor. Without warning, I started to sweat through my long-sleeve t-shirt that was fittingly, white. Dancing next to a row of deli meat, Roberto moved my hips to the music, and then pulled my long-sleeve shirt over my head. I looked around, uncomfortable in my black camisole, until he pressed his hand into my lower back with such authority that my hips gave way. Grinding to the music, the room started to fade until all I could hear was Shakira’s rhythmic moaning in a moment I was sure would pass for travel sex.

The next day, Roberto took me to a local ice cream parlor where we shared a perfectly uncomplicated strawberry ice cream cone. Communicating through looks and smiles. Through nods and touches. Through everything that made me feel like staying in this small town, at least for another week. When I finally stepped into the cab, I didn’t feel sad or lonely. It was impossible to. Roberto slid into the seat next to me, insistent on taking me to the airport. Driving through the city, I realized that the boy who had just turned twenty-one knew the value of going all the way.

As I made my way to the gate, I turned back to savor the last few moments with my crush. Roberto called out to me in a tender voice that I’ll never forget, and said the most romantic thing I’ve ever heard. Only I couldn’t understand a single word he said.

Suggested Number of Drinks:

43 comments:

Anonymous said...

This one kind of makes me sad. "Travel sex" that wasn't but perhaps rather "travel optimism about romance?"

Anonymous said...

I love the name of the drink on this one - they are all so appropos but this one is especially fine. Travel sex is over-rated (or so I hear, never had the gonads to try it myself) but travel romance is as sweet and uncomplicated as that strawberry icecream cone. Nice job, full of substance!

Anonymous said...

I love the Latino Heat! You've inspired me to hop on Travelocity right now and book my flight (although may need to sip on the cocktail while using much loved credit card). Muchas Gracias!!

Anonymous said...

girl, you are funny. and wise. keep the stories (and cocktail recipes) coming!

Anonymous said...

I want to share an uncomplicated strawberry icecream cone with someone! I just signed up for Match.com do you mind if I use that line as my tag line :) ?? It sums up what I'm looking for!

Anonymous said...

So did you actually do it? Or just dry hump on teh dance floor?

Anonymous said...

Sexy story, did you guys exchange emaill addresses? Probably not since he didnt speak English...so sad...maybe he was the one who got away

Anonymous said...

You really should use sun screen when tanning...really dangerous and you will age prematurely...but GREAT STORY!!!!! Sorry, had to tell you about sun screen....

Anonymous said...

It's about time!! Just kidding....love the new post...keep up the boozing lady!

Anonymous said...

Your mentor sounds pretty great...any other advice other than travel sex with someone who doesnt speak english???

Anonymous said...

Made me smile at work...thanks

Anonymous said...

I don't drink so I never try your recipes but youre a super funny blogger

Anonymous said...

Awesome story!! This Salina character sounds very interesting....oyu should write more about her! And, Indian? I, too have a friend who is Indian....wonder if they know each other. Hee hee hee ; ) Love the stories, Nic!! You are wicked hilarious!! Sending them to everyone I know!

Anonymous said...

Just made the drink....delicious!!!!By the way, travel sex is the best!

Anonymous said...

I hope you said something equally romantic (and impossible to understand) back to him when parting ways!

Anonymous said...

I had travel sex in Italy and all I got was crabs...there is a reason I'm posting anonymously...

Anonymous said...

freaking funny lady

Anonymous said...

hope u used a condom or you'll wind up like the ass who posted about getting crabs

Anonymous said...

well. I love this story NO ! baggage just sex and romance ,,I don't care what some of the bloggers say it's good to take chances in life and know one gets hurt , just tequila , dancing , & ice cream . you go girl . p.s likun the drinks but then again I like TRAVEL SEX !

Anonymous said...

travel sex good. Any sex good.

Anonymous said...

I think there's nothing like a tan blue eyed bartender who can DANCE look at only you ( it sounds like )to move your hips with.
drink the banana liq makes it !
Viva La Costa Rica !!!

Anonymous said...

there is something so sexy about latin men....I used to keep a travel journel (similar to blogs before they existed) and I had to xerox stories and mail them...now I am too old for south american back packing trips and random sex...if I only it had happened in the digital age...I could have been your companion Nicole...well if we liked each other that is..now I am old enough to be your mother. It was actually my daughter who sent me your link...

Anonymous said...

Mom - I sent you the link to read NOT to post!! Just kidding, not really

Anonymous said...

Have you traveled alot Nicole? You would make a great travel writer.

Anonymous said...

I'm allergic to Maraschino cherries nicole. dont put any more in recipes or Ill stop reading

Anonymous said...

will you write a column on why EVERYONE LOVES RAYMOND is such a piece of doo doo. I need some validation that it stinks. its on every night at 1230 in LA on channel 5 and it SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Please write about bad TV, maybe a date and bad tv?

Anonymous said...

you should link your site to an alcohol site

Anonymous said...

Babe love the story!

Anonymous said...

"Three weeks later, I was drying up on a deserted beach in Panama after ten straight days of flooding."

Well put but man is that wide open to interpretation! No sadness for me when I read this travel romance tale as it sure brought back some fond memories. I'll not as bold or wittily forthcoming as Nicole as to share the details on my South American escape (and my hubby may be reading!) But there are "flings" that leave a sour aftertaste (or crabs as anony so bluntly put it) and then there are those rare "flings" that happen in the hyper-reality of faraway travel that freeze a moment in time like a perfect photo. Sexy Costa Rican bartender definitely fits the grid as one of shots you can actually look back on it and (not wince) grin like a fool about because it was so darn short and perfect. Great job, N! I think you struck a universal chord with this one and I agree with the poster who pointed out your travel writing skills.

Anonymous said...

Your story made me nostalgic for man past vacations

Anonymous said...

Oh, and have you ever slept with Corey Hart? Or thought about it?

Nicole Terry said...

It was short, sweet, romantic, and yes- we emailed for a while. Never underestimate the power of free web translations: http://freetranslation.paralink.com/

Nicole Terry said...

I think I dreamt of holding hands with Corey Hart as I was only 9 years old when Sunglasses at Night came out. Present day Corey Hart, not so much. I think the Blind Bastard tainted that one for me. Has anyone seen CH lately?

Anonymous said...

So sweet. If this were a movie I'd be yelling "go back and get that one! You can live happily ever after raising tan little bambinos." BUT, this is real life and the story would probably end up tragically--he'd still be living with his parents with no intentions of moving out. And you might get skin cancer. I'm much happier with your real life and glad you can share these awesome stories AND drinks with us!

Anonymous said...

sounds perfect to me...a hot 21 yr old that doesn't speak english :) i'll drink to that!

Anonymous said...

How's your liver? Youre funny but I worry about your liver....

Anonymous said...

Oh, on the road romance! Thanks for posting this sweet travel story. It reminds this married lady of my own single travel days and allows me to live vicariously through all your dating adventures.

Anonymous said...

have u been bk to casta rico since? What other countries have u done it in?

Anonymous said...

Makes me want to be on holiday right now... cocktails, hammocks, dancing... hmmm.... yes please

Anonymous said...

Amen...and I'll have another round!!!
Vacation sex is bliss! I've often wanted to quote from that Woody Allen
movie "Shh! Don't speak!

Anonymous said...

merry xmas...how abt a post?

Hollywoodgal said...

Awwwww - that was cute!
Happy holidays and... read you in 2008.
xxx

Anonymous said...

Hubba hubba