9.14.2007

101 [The Beginning]



Staring into an empty glass, I have to admit the dating arena has changed. In fact, I could detect a slight shift in gravity the moment I landed in Los Angeles. Newly single and starting a job as an Executive Assistant to a film producer, I assumed the shift to be a positive one. After all, I was twenty-six, single, and living in a new city. The world was clearly my oyster!

Two years later, I realized the problem with oysters is they’re messy, off-putting, seasonal, expensive, and tend to leave a bad taste in your mouth. The gravitational pull had shoved my dating life over the edge. I was now downing a line of Oyster Shooters, hoping that with enough horseradish and pepper, I’d make it through the night without gagging. With an ever-shrinking dating pool, I had opened a new chapter in life called: Downhill Dating.

On the heels of this realization, I started recording my 101 Reasons to Drink. It was true, the dating arena had changed. The only problem: the drinks were still the same. In order to survive the descent, I had to become the mixologist to my dating life. Taking a hard swig of my “Lazy Spaniard,” I’m comforted knowing that the best thing to come out of a bad date was the inspiration for a new drink.

From three years of downhill dating comes a new series of cocktails, and the stories that inspired them in 101 Reasons to Drink. After all, every embarrassing, frustrating, deflating, exhilarating moment a girl can face en route to finding the one deserves its own drink.

Bottoms up!

DRINKING KEY (from bad to worse):

Are you sure there's alcohol in this?

If no one sees it, it didn't happen.

I'd rather eat my shoelace.

I hear Budapest is a nice place to relocate.

Mind Eraser please!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen sister! Looking forward to the book and the recipes...when will it be available?

Anonymous said...

Help....I've just returned home from yet another horrific speed-dating experience (hence why I'm home at 9:30pm on a Friday) and in serious need of a mind eraser level cocktail. Bring it on - god speed!

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to the chapter intitled "A Kennedy Hangover in a Glass."

Anonymous said...

"...his lazy eye is still following my chest..." !!!! Classic! H'okay, I'm hooked and will buy the book and sign up for match.com and AA simultaneously when it comes out. Here's to the Erma Bombeck of the dating and cocktail scene - cheers!

Anonymous said...

carol roper
WOW!Haven't we all been there one time or another . Can't wait to read more & learn new drinks .

Anonymous said...

Is it bad that it's Monday and I'm already thinking of what cocktail will get me through another weekend of being single in a couples world??!*!?

Anonymous said...

Could you please mix up some drinks at my house for the next ladies night:)?!*?

Unknown said...

Brilliant! At last a cocktail book with an added twist of "bad dating" thrown in for good measure. Can't wait to read more.

Anonymous said...

We, my friends & I got a good laugh with the Dirty Wanderer yummy drink too , we had to try it !

Anonymous said...

OMG I thought maybe I was being over sensitive my name is Holly NOT Molly. Not too much to ask from I guy you just devoted a whole night to - right?? Loved Dirty Wanderer! I would def. call mine a mind-eraser level experience!

Anonymous said...

I wish I had been drinking cocktails early on in the dating scene--the dates sure would have sounded a lot more romandramatic. Unfortunately, a case of Pabst never paints a pretty picture. As I "matured" my only source of comfort at the end of the awkward date was a cosmo and a goodbye, or a cosmo and a bloodymary in the morning (wink wink). I love the concept of drink recipes and a story! Keep them coming.

Anonymous said...

In the words of Jon Bon Jovi, "It's all the same, only the names will change" Maybe, just maybe that was what the wanderer was thinking.


You know what I am thinking... I'd like to meet that loretta chick, I have a case of PBR and I promise you cab fare. I'll be in Portland next weekend. I hear the Portland Marriott might even have some of those imported beers.

Anonymous said...

I say: instead of "never date a guy who can't remember your name," it should be: never date a guy who looks like he has a sweater on when he is naked!!!
P.S. Your mom and I should hang out. I absloutely love a nice Chardonnay with breakfast!

Anonymous said...

ok...dirty wanderer only 5 drinks??? i think it deserves another :)

Anonymous said...

Great idea for a mock self help. Great idea, period! Keep them coming.

Anonymous said...

Hey Srt Jr, Thanks for a fantastic time in Stumptown. That case of Pabsts was mighty generous of you.

Anonymous said...

I knew there were MANY reasons to drink! I'm comforted knowing this blog is here and people understand. I Just got back from the date from Hell. And it's only 8:00! How do mothers continue to get their busy little fingers in your business even though you're a GROWN adult. Help Me!!!

Anonymous said...

So much fun to read and good drinks to try too. I love it!

Anonymous said...

Turn this into a book...would be a great gift for the holidays